In June 2014, The Camden Watch Company flagship store opened its doors to the public to the very first time.
Situated it the Victorian building locally known as the Horse Hospital, the space couldn't be a better fit. It was built during the Victorian period from which we draw so much of our inspiration, it has a vaulted brick roof with riveted metal columns, and it's right smack bang in the heart of Camden Town. We spent two solid weeks painting, hammering, dusting, building tables and organising our stock until the shop looked just the way we wanted.
When we first opened we used the back space as an office, designing our watches and working on the shop floor ourselves. And although we've now outgrown that small 5 sq m back office, on some days, every once in a while, you can still find Jerome behind the counter, unable to resist the lure of meeting our customers face to face.
The No.29 Horse Hospital Edition is exclusively available in our Camden Flagship, based on the history of the building and the surrounding area.
Camden Market was originally developed in 1839 as the Camden Goods Depot, the London terminus for goods traffic from both the railways and the canals.
As the area continued to grow, more warehouses for the goods and more stables for the Victorian working horses moving the goods were needed, leading to the construction of the Stables Yard.
In 1883, a two storey building was erected in the North-West corner of the Stables Yard. It accommodated 92 horses over 2 floors, including 12 loose boxes that were provided for resting tired or injured horses and led to this building becoming known as the “Horse Hospital”.
You can learn learn more about our Horse Hospital here.
Where To Find Us
We are in unit 88B, situated in the North Yard of The Stables Market in Camden Town. The easiest way to reach us is through Gate 1 from the direction of Chalk Farm (next to Morrison's Car Park).